Missing teeth can create a significant impact on your overall appearance, which is why dentures are here to serve as a solution to missing teeth problems. Dentures are an effective option to improve a person’s smile and restore the normal teeth functions such as biting and chewing. It is important to ensure that your teeth are complete or it will increase your risk of developing dental and nutritional problems.
Types of dentures:
- Removable dentures – removable dentures can either be complete or partial dentures. This type of dentures are made of artificial teeth that will serve as replacement for your lost teeth and are attached to a gum colored plastic base. The plastic base holds the denture inside your mouth. If you have lost all of your permanent teeth, a complete removable denture will be recommended for you, but if you still have a few permanent teeth left, a removable partial denture will do.
- Fixed or implant supported dentures – when it comes to wearing dentures, something that can offer better comfort to patients will be fixed or implant supported dentures. This type of denture is supported by or attached to a dental implant. An implant is a metal post that serves as the replacement to your tooth roots. This is normally recommended for patients who still have enough bone structure in the jaw to support dental implants.
Benefits of implant-supported dentures:
- Implant supported dentures are kept in place and it allows you to go on your daily life with the confidence from knowing that your teeth are complete and healthy.
- They restore proper teeth functions including chewing and biting. This means that you can eat well and you can maintain good diet and nutrition, and your health will not have to suffer.
- They improve your speech and boost your self-confidence and self-esteem
- They make you feel more comfortable and reduces the risk of gum irritation. You will not have to worry about them getting loose or slipping from your mouth especially when you talk.
- You can save yourself from spending for denture adhesives because they are fixed in your jawbone.
For more information on dentures, you can call Buchanan Dental Arts at (914) 737-6300 .