The ideal candidate for Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is an ideal treatment for people who have healthy teeth, and gums. However, this cosmetic method is not recommended for everyone.
If you are looking for whiter teeth, you have two alternatives: in-office or at-home care. Both whitening options are peroxide-based and have a different percentage of bleaching substances.
At-Home Teeth Bleaching alternative
There are many options for bleaching teeth at home, some of the most familiar are:
- Strips: Whitening strips are easy to use and can be found at all major drug, grocery, and convenience stores. The daily usage and amount of time applied will be suggested by each brand. If you use the strips too often and experience an increase in teeth sensitivity, please consult with us before using them again. We will let you know if this method is right for you.
- Gels: It is applied directly to your teeth with a brush or even with a pen. These are peroxide-based tooth bleaching products. Some are left overnight using a mouthpiece, while others are designed to be rinsed off. Due to the ingredients, it can be diluted or washed away in your mouth over time. The whitening results are moderate.
- Whitening toothpaste: All toothpaste removes surface stains because they contain mild abrasives. Some whitening toothpaste incorporates soft polishing or agents that bring additional stain removal effectiveness. However, they are not left on the teeth enough to have a whitening effect.
- Tooth bleaching Led systems: This method uses a whitening tray and gel. The LED mouthpiece combines a special wavelength of light delivered via the mouthpiece with the whitening gel.
If you decide to try teeth whitening treatment at home, the American Dental Association recommends you talk with your dentist first, especially if you have:
- Sensitive teeth
- Dental restorations
- Very dark stains or a single dark tooth
- Lots of fillings or crowns
If you have any other concerns about using whitening agents at your home, please contact us to learn more about our cosmetic dentistry services during your next visit.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
In-office bleaching lends the most dramatic results and is the quickest way to get whiter teeth. The bleaching substance used is usually much more efficient than at-home kits. Also, light, gel, heat, or a combination of them may be used to speed and intensify the whitening process.
Teeth generally get between three to eight shades brighter and usually take several in-office visits. Visit us for your Teeth Whitening in Westchester NY.
Buchanan Dental Arts recommends treating any problems before you whiten your teeth because is safer for your oral health to get a professional cleaning and exam first, even if you choose to whiten your teeth at home. You might need only a thorough cleaning to restore your smile.
Ask us about which over-the-counter system to use and how much lightening you can expect. Teeth do darken with age, and the color change varies from person to person.